2/11/2011

hemming a shirt

Before
 My friend called me the other day and asked if I would help her fix some shirts.  She hadn't sewn anything before so I said "SURE!"  I love to help people learn new things!  She had bought this as a dress, but it was too short for her so she cut it then wanted to hem it up.  She didn't know how, so she came over yesterday and we had a short lesson.  She is so funny.  She considers herself pretty crafty, but she says "sewing is like taking crafting to the next level.  It is like serious crafting, like you are doing something that the pioneers did."  This made me laugh and I told her THAT is going in my blogpost.  She is great! 
 This is the raw edge.  So pretty right?
 I have a serger, so she got a lesson on that too.  She did so good!  Here is a picture of her folding up the edge, finishing the hem.   She has the straight stitch down, and she knows how to use a sewing machine now.  It really isn't hard.  The best advice I got when I was learning was to start a project knowing you will have to pick it out at some point.  That way you don't get so frustrated when you do, and you are so happy when you don't!
AHHH so much better!  :)  Thanks for the fun time! 

Anyone can sew.  If it intimidates you just have a "daring" spirit and go for it!  the worst that will happen is that you have to pick out your stitches.  It really isn't a big deal.  Just listen to some music, and pick, pick, pick.  I do it all the time...  :)

OH and to my friend, how was it rubbing elbows with the pioneers?  Tehehe

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post. Just right for me. I need to come over for tutorials. Even though I made a whole dress for myself when I was 13, it scares the heck out me everytime I see my sewing machine. I have no idea how to do it now. Every time I try and "re-learn", it just flies right out of my brain for the next time. What is WRONG with me?! I must have "sewing block" going on in my brain for that particular skill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing is wrong with you. You do indeed have "sewing block" probably from previous frustration with the picking out. I had it for a while, until I heard that advice from my MIL who is an expert seamstress, I think that if SHE has to pick stuff, everyone does! :) When you come visit we can have some lessons!

    ReplyDelete